Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday's edition: Healthy Eating

So, today completed week 1 with my 'Get Running' App and it marks the 8th day I haven't had a diet coke! I'm feeling pretty good on my 1200 calories too (this is just for the first 2 weeks)! I'm also pretty proud that I only ordered the girl scout cookies that Ray, Emily and dad like (and not my favorite samoas...I would have ordered mom and Molly some had I known their favorite ones), I only ate 1 thing at the Bowl Championship party (a delicious and I think pretty healthy nutella cookie) and I restrained from the delicious party food at last nights Community Council meeting...I'm back in this healthy lifestyle game and I hope I can continue doing and feeling good! Since I've been told I'm inspiring others...below is today's healthy dinner recipe...let's call it Shrimp Spectacular (I counted Ray saying it was 'really good' at least 6 times! FYI...I don't post recipes that Ray doesn't compliment at least 3 times while eating).

So, I found a similar recipe in a mayo clinic diet article in a Women's magazine a couple of years ago, but I 'Brookeized' it. Start by pealing one pound of uncooked shrimp (I got the Kroger frozen since nobody has fresh shrimp this time of year). Toss pealed shrimp with some creole seasoning to taste and set aside. Saute mushroom halves and cherry tomatoes in about 1 T of olive oil over medium heat. Add about a 1/4 cup of chicken broth. Once broth is hot add shrimp to the veggie mixture and cook until just pink. Toss in a handful (or two) of fresh spinach and stir until wilted. Serve over brown rice. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp...there is nothing worse than over cooked shrimp!

We also had fresh broccoli and cauliflower and some gourmet artichokes. I picked up the artichokes from the freezer section of Kroger (35 calories per serving)...I believe they were steam in the bag Private Selection. Next time, I'll be leaving them in the freezer section! Happy Healthy Eating!