I had just finished watching the torch run by and was at the International Broadcast Center in Salt Lake City waiting for the opening ceremony to begin. Today (well all month), I have been kicking myself; wishing I would have gone to Canada...I thought about it more than once, but I was a chicken...I didn't want to leave Ray, my family, our house, etc for 9 months...couldn't imagine not getting to love on Lily on a regular basis. So, tonight, I am snuggled up on the couch waiting for the ceremony to begin. When my grandpa died, I found a book in his desk of all the emails I sent while I was in Salt Lake...I'm reliving my memories...what an amazing experience I had. I leave you with the email I sent on this day in 2002...
I Finally Saw the torch!
The past 6 months, the 14 hour days, the crazy, busy moments and all the hard work paid off. Everything came together as I watched the torch make its way through Salt Lake. I actually saw it twice! I was so overcome with emotions the first time, I had to get a second look at it. It was amazing to me to see thousands of people lined up and down the streets chanting USA!
This morning a huge storm come in-winds over 40 mph. Let me just tell you, when show hits you at 40 mph, it really stings! Plus the first trials of ski jumping had to be postponed and our blimp had to be brought down, so it was not a good morning for anyone. Now the snow has moved out (along with the inversion) and the sky is a beautiful blue - everyone is ready for tonight!
I've seen parts of the opening ceremonies and it will be great! There is a huge ice skating rink and amazing costumes. They have taken on the "wild west" theme, all the way down to the kazoo's. The streets are full of excitement and people from every Nation. Pin trading is such a big event on the street. I'm glad I don't have time to leave the office, because the pins would be my weakness. I don't know why, because what am I going to do with them?
Anyway, just wanted to say Hello and get you excited for the Opening tonight! My bets are on Mayor Giuliani to carry the flame into the stadium, but that is a secret nobody knows the answer to. Hope you all enjoy. Happy Olympics- Brooke :)