I love them...I'm not a big TV watcher, but I come home and turn the TV on and have to make myself go to bed...I am enjoying the Olympics so much. I've been asked to share other emails from my Olympic 2002 life...so here you go (as I watch Vonn in the downhill)...
February 15, 2002
Hello All, The Games are going great and I am having a BLAST! Our ratings are better then they ever anticipated, so everyone has chilled out. The mood of our office has done a complete 360 and everyone is enjoying each other and having fun! I'm working about 12 hours a day, but I get to get out a lot and see events and hang out in the Olympic Square.
I thought opening ceremonies were great! I believe the Games and Opening Ceremonies are perfect to boost the feelings of our Nation!
Saturday morning some firefighters from 9-11 that were in SLC for the Opening Ceremonies came in our Studios. It was so touching to hear their stories and even more touching as they admired my dedication art work wall. On Saturday night I went to the medal's ceremony. Is is neat the way the athletes come together to get their medals. They run in each night with flame from the Torch and light a mini cauldron while fireworks go off in 9 spots over SLC. And to hear the National Anthem and everyone singing along. Dave Mathews was the musical guest and besides being cold, it was great!
Each day, I usually go to the Olympic Square. This is like a huge festival where all of the Olympic sponsors have booths with lots of neat games and prizes. They have ice sculptures, bands, pin trading and lots of entertainment. I've taken lots of pictures and can't wait to share them with everyone!
Yesterday, I went to the men's 500 m speed skating finals. I've really gotten into all the different sports, even curling! I think speed skating is one of my favorites. I sat on the 4th row, right behind the finish line! USA won Gold and Bronze! It was so exciting. I can go to any event, but even when you are on the media bus it takes forever to get out of the events, so I would almost rather watch them in the Studio. Plus, since they issues the extra security precautions, security has tightened up even more.
I've been watching the figure skating practices as they are right next to our office. I help Scott Hamilton out - he is my favorite 'celebrity!' It's neat because I've got to see most of the medalist when they come in for interviews.
Last night, since my boss is from Australia, I went to the filming of the Australian version of the Tonight Show, called "Ice Dream." They only allow 20 people in their audience because their studio is so small. It was so funny and much better than our "Tonight Show." Their special guest was Tara Lapenski and Miss Utah. It was a neat experience!
Tomorrow I'm headed to Park City to help the crew with bobsledding...Can't wait to meet the Jamaican Bobsled team! Everyone continue watching the Games. Go USA! Love and miss you all, Brooke :)
Side note...it was in the Olympic square where I learned of Hallmark Flowers and how glad I am that I did!