Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday Funday

My Shanghai Sunday Funday started with a great run on the dreadmill, followed by a leisurely breakfast by myself where I read my book and discovered banana milk.  I don't believe I've ever seen banana milk in the States, but it might be my new favorite thing!  At noon, Marilyn, Jim and I met two of our agents and headed to Foreigner Street for lunch.  This little narrow street has about 40 restaurants...basically any taste you could be craving.  We chose Mexican (even over American) and our agents had the best time trying it...I think they took about 40 pictures of their food and us eating our food!  The chicken tacos were probably the best I have ever eaten; however, the cheese dip and salsa could use some help.  We then braved the traffic and headed to the U Garden which is what we in the states refer to as a tourist trap.  Booth after booth of Chinese Chockskies and food trucks surround a beautiful Chinese garden.  I had been there before, but didn't realize it until we got there.  Note to self...you hate the U Garden so stay at the hotel next time...the crowds are unbelievable, the smells knock you off your feet, their gardens are not known for their flowers and nobody wants overpriced jade statues, chopsticks, or car ornaments! It was about 5:30 when we finally got to where I wanted to go...Pearl City. I got my favorite necklace from last trip fixed!  Then I went up to the 3rd floor where all the knock off stuff is, but really didn't feel like anything.  I'm not into knock off purses as 1. it is illegal and stressful when going through customs, 2. nobody asked for anything and 3. they closed at 7, so I really didn't have time to inspect everything.  However, I did finally find Lily a Chinese dress that I believe is her size to replace the one she outgrew!  We then headed for a foot massage, which was absolutely wonderful and I see why people are fond of them.  We have a 6 am inner country flight Monday morning and while I am kinda sad to say goodbye to probably one of the nicest Western Hotels, I'm happy to keep moving!